History of Quincy, MI
Quincy had its beginning in the year 1853 with the structure of the New Albany Railroad (a forerunner to the Monon Railroad) through that domain. A significant number of the specialists on this railroad had constructed homes along Brush Creek, where the railroad crossed it. William L. Hart and his significant other Lucy had the zone around the Brush Creek beam overviewed for a town, which was to be named Quincy. This plat was gotten at the Owen County Courthouse in Spencer on June 7, 1853. In 1854, the town’s mailing station was set up, where it has been as yet working since.
The settlement of Dunkirk on the western side of Jay County was platted as “Quincy” in 1853. Nonetheless, when a mail center was being set up there, it was found that this town previously had a mailing station with that name, so the Jay County settlement was renamed as Dunkirk.
The town of Quincy was flourishing when a fire was inadvertently begun on November 3, 1873. The majority of the business region was decimated, including three dry merchandise stores. Another fire happened on May 9, 1930 which crushed a similar piece of town. The structures that were obliterated were the O.E. Stewart store, Dunkin general store, the Herbert store, the mail center and two more modest structures. This implied every one of the five stores of Quincy were burned to the ground. The Red Men and Knights of Pythias lodges, which held their gatherings in the upper floors of two of these structures, lost everything. Three of the structures crushed were two stories tall. This and the consuming of the Quincy school on February 2, 1953 flagged the finish of the business locale of the town. The populace has run somewhere in the range of 200 and 300 since the Civil War.