History of New Albany, IN
The place where there is New Albany was formally conceded to the United States after the American Revolutionary War. The domain had been caught by George Rogers Clark in 1779. For his administrations Clark was granted huge lots of land in Southern Indiana including a large portion of Floyd County. After the war Clark sold and dispersed a portion of his territory to his kindred troopers. The territory of New Albany wound up in the ownership of Col. John Paul.
New Albany was platted by John Graham on the land claimed by the Scribner siblings. In 1814 Joel and Mary Scribner fabricated their home in New Albany; the Scribner House actually stands today.
New Albany developed quickly and was the biggest city in Indiana from 1816 until 1860 when overwhelmed by Indianapolis. Prior to the Civil War, over portion of Hoosiers worth over $100,000 lived in New Albany, making it by a wide margin the most affluent piece of the state. The steamer business was the driving force of the city’s economy during the mid-nineteenth century. Energized by plentiful timberlands for stumble, at any rate about six shipbuilders were in activity and turned out a huge number of steamers and parcel boats, including the Robert E.
In 1847 the city was associated with the port at Michigan City, Indiana on Lake Michigan by means of the Monon railroad. In 1853 the New Albany High School opened, the primary public secondary school in the state. The first school was worked at the side of West First Street and Spring Street. New Albany would likewise be the first in the state to make a combined school locale quite a long while later.