History of Moraine, OH
Residents of the Moraine territory withdrew from Kettering framing the new Moraine Township in 1953, preceding joining as a district in 1957. Moraine later attached pieces of Miami and Jefferson municipalities.
Moraine is known for its assembling history. From 1917 to 1923 the Dayton Wright Airplane organization worked an airplane producing plant on the current site of the Moraine Assembly. During its long stretches of activity more than 4000 airplane were assembled including the DeHavilland onlooker/aircraft plane (a first world war British plan).
Dayton-Wright was offered to General Motors in 1919 and GM left the airplane business in 1923. In 1926, General Motors amplified updated the plant and utilized it to fabricate fridges. Frigidaire kept on assembling machines on the site until 1979 when GM sold Frigidaire.
General Motors chose to keep the plant and retool it to deliver vehicles. In 1981 the plant resumed and produced the Chevrolet S-10 Blazer. During the 1990s a paint shop, and the DMAX motor plant was added to the site as a joint endeavor with Isuzu. The plant kept on assembling SUVs from the General Motors product offering (Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Buick) until 2008 when the plant shut. The DMAX motor plant actually stays open and has as of late expanded. Through 2008, the complete history of the plant included 86 years of assembling.