History of Yorktown, IN
During the Woodland time frame Native Americans assembled an earthen fenced in area just toward the east of Yorktown, still noticeable on Google Earth at 40.1805°N 85.4694°W. Yorktown lies at the intersection of the White River and Buck Creek. As per neighborhood legend, the Miami Indians accepted that the curious arrangement of the intersection made Yorktown safe from twisters.
Yorktown was platted in 1837 by Oliver H. Smith, who spoke to Indiana in the U.S. Senate from 1837 to 1843 and was an individual from the Committee on Public Lands. Smith in the end got associated with the railroad business, and Yorktown was joined to Indianapolis by railroad in the mid 1850s. Yorktown’s central avenue bears Smith’s name.
Yorktown profited by the 1880s petroleum gas blast in the zone, and was the site of a few glass plants in the late nineteenth and mid 20th hundreds of years. (The gas offered names to close the towns of Gaston and Gas City and attracted the Ball Brothers to Muncie.)
In 1892, an engineer platted “West Muncie” ashore quickly adjoining Yorktown (however around ten miles from Muncie.) Buck Creek was dammed to shape “Lake Delaware,” which turned into the focal point of a 73-room resort inn opened in 1893. In any case, the dam burst inside a couple of years and the whole West Muncie project was deserted. Its most suffering heritage was maybe that Yorktown was wrongly marked “West Muncie” on some guides into the 1960s and maybe later, baffling most neighborhood inhabitants, who had neither seen nor heard the name in some other setting.
The town has been served by the Big Four Railroad and its replacements: the New York Central, Penn Central, Conrail and CSX. The town was additionally served by an electric interurban line, the Union Traction Company of Indiana and its replacement Indiana Railroad, in the mid 20th century.
During the 20th century, numerous occupants discovered work in car plants in close by Muncie and Anderson, most connected with General Motors. General Motors in Muncie, shut down in 2003. Borg Warner in Yorktown shut in 2009. Yorktown additionally filled in as corporate central command of the Marsh Supermarkets chain from 1952 until 1991, a reality reflected in the chain’s “Yorktown” store brand. Bog Supermarkets and Village Pantry base camp moved in Indianapolis until Marsh failed and shut down in 2017.
Previous Yorktown Clerk-Treasurer Beth Neff was the respondent in prominent court procedures (State of Indiana v. Beth A. Neff, 18S-IF-478) that saw the Indiana Supreme Court explain state resolutions identifying with the conditions under which Indiana legal authorities may eliminate openly chose city authorities from office.