History of Richmond, KY
The City of Richmond was established in 1798 by Colonel John Miller from Virginia, a British American who had presented with the dissidents in the Revolutionary War. As indicated by custom, Miller was pulled in to the territory by the great spring water and benevolent Native Americans. That year, the Kentucky governing body endorsed moving the province seat from Milford to land possessed by Colonel Miller. The inhabitants of Milford stubbornly restricted the move, which prompted a clench hand battle between Dave Kennedy (speaking to Milford) and William Kearly (speaking to Richmond). The district affirmed the move in March 1798. On July 4, 1798, the new town was named Richmond to pay tribute to Miller’s Virginia birthplace. Richmond was joined in 1809.
Kentucky was a line state during the Civil War and remained in the Union. On August 30, 1862, during the Civil War, the Union and Confederate Armies conflicted in the Battle of Richmond. Troops under Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith directed the fighters of Union General William Nelson. Out of Nelson’s 6,500 men, just 1,200 got away; the rest were all captured. One history specialist called this fight “the closest thing to a Cannae ever scored by any broad, North or South, throughout the entire war.”
In 1906, Eastern Kentucky State Normal School was established in Richmond to prepare educators. There were eleven individuals from the first graduating class in 1909. By 1922 it had extended its educational plan to a four-year program and was set up as a school. It added advanced education programs in 1935. In acknowledgment of its scholarly divisions and examination, in 1965 the establishment was renamed as Eastern Kentucky University.
In the last part of the 1990s and through the primary decade of the 21st century, Richmond had a business and private blast identified with other advancement in the Bluegrass Region. Starting at 2009, Richmond was Kentucky’s seventh-biggest city, climbing four spots from positioning in the 2000 evaluation as Kentucky’s 11th biggest city.