History of Pomeroy, OH
Pomeroy was established in 1804 and named for landowner Samuel Pomeroy. The town was joined in 1840, and assigned region seat in 1841.
The most punctual history of Pomeroy starts with the appearance of Samuel Ervin at what is presently Kerr’s Run in 1806. In 1821 Josiah Dill opened a bar there and Nial Nye in 1826 worked a bar, plant and wharf-boat.
In 1830 Samuel Wyllys Pomeroy of Massachusetts, showing up by boat from Cincinnati appreciated the view from the Nye bar, and the wild turkey, turtle and Ohio River fish. Subsequent to survey his coal land bought in Massachusetts in 1804, and the fruitful fields of the area he considered it “a decent solid spot to live, and with legitimate administration a splendid modern future.”
He set up the Pomeroy Son’s Company and sent his child in-law Valentine B. Horton, to build up the coal and other modern prospects.
Horton built up the mines, convinced eastern pioneers and those from Germany, Ireland and Wales to come to Pomeroy to mine the coal; initiated present day strategies in mining; built up the transportation of coal by waterway, constructing the main coal freight ships and in 1836 the principal boat (Condor) which was terminated by coal rather than wood.
He achieved the joining of the town in 1841, and through political moving the expulsion of the district court from Chester to Pomeroy in the exact year.
At the point when salt was found in profound wells close to the waterway (1848) he built up the business, utilizing the nearby coal to handle the salt. Excelsior Salt Co., among many, opened during that period and proceeded in business until 1975, when the Environmental Protection Agency constrained its end due to high Sulfur coal smoke noticeable all around and the brackish water contaminating the waterway.
By 1870 Pomeroy, with a populace of 5,000, was a prosperous modern town. Stream traffic was substantial. There were steel plants, machine shops, a brewery, organ plant, cart and cart manufacturing plant, coper shops, tanneries, shoemaker shops, gems stores, prepare shops, meat markets, metal forger shops, furniture production lines, boat developers, millinery shops, landmark works, flour factories, attire pens, dress and supermarkets. A paper was distributed in 1843, the message line came in 1848 and the railroad in 1886: the pony controlled ship to Mason, WV in 1854 and the steam ship in 1847. There were specialists, dental specialists and legal advisors.
The mid twentieth century was the hour of most noteworthy flourishing for Meigs County and similarly Pomeroy. Creation of salt, synthetic substances and coal and their subsidiaries was at its pinnacle. WWI brought an interest for coal. The Ebersbach family accepted coal creation the latest relevant point of interest; likewise, hardware. After the strikes of the 1920s and the downturn of the 1930s both coal and salt business started to disappear, work issues were extraordinary, and salt turned out to be more available somewhere else.
During WWII and after the structure of the extension across the Ohio River and the TNT plant in West Virginia, there was an unexpected and brief blast in flourishing, yet when the war was finished, coal and salt creation was not continued. Any condition which influenced the area influenced the district seat. Populace started to diminish and has kept on doing as such until ongoing years. Rail lines have stopped activity into the Bend and this antagonistically influenced business.