History of Middleville, MI
The main white pioneer to claim land in the town was Calvin G. Slope, a local of New York, who purchased 400 sections of land (1.6 km2) in 1834 on the two sides of the Thornapple River. The town was likely overviewed and partitioned before 1850, however the plat was not formally recorded until 1859. Preceding 1843, the settlement was regularly called “Thornapple”.
The name Middleville was from the start given to a mail center on the stage mentor line between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. The mailing station was situated at the place of Benjamin S. Auger in segment 2 in upper east Yankee Springs Township. Auger had consented to acknowledge the mail center in line with U.S. Delegate Lucius Lyon, of Kent County. Lyon proposed the name “Dibbleville”, yet Dibble hated that name. “Middleville” was proposed in light of the nearness of an Indian town known as “Center Village” on Scales Prairie close to the limit line among Thornapple and Yankee Springs municipalities.
Auger was delegated postmaster in July 1839 and proceeded until 1842. The following postmaster, John W. Bradley, kept on keeping up the mail center at Dibble’s home until 1843, when it was moved to the current town of Middleville, with Calvin G. Slope as the postmaster. The town a short time later got known by the name of the mail center. The area of the first Indian town is NNE a couple hundred yards of the current day crossing point where Norris Rd. closes at Adams Rd.